So yeah, I was there.  Sonya had asked me to take a personal day for her
8th birthday and take her skiing.

What a day.  It started with only Sterling running.   After a quick warm up
on Harvey's(first tracks on the lower half), Sonya chose to challenge
herself on Exhibition, where I found tons of untracked on the edges.  Doing
fine on that, she did both Hangman's Drop and Poacher's Woods for the first
time, with Poacher's being surprisingly untracked

We headed to M2 which had just started running,  and were among the first 5
tracks down both Moonshiner's and Norwegian(new to Sonya), then headed to
Bermuda for plenty more fresh.

Then we caught tenth chair up M1.  I never thought I'd say this, but
Chilcoot was the run of the day. Yes, you read right, Chilcoot was run of
the day!!!  Aside from a snowcat's width down the middle, it had not been
touched.  Both sides of the trail were completely untracked, and Sonya
could be heard giggling and laughing the whole way down, while skiing the
easy trail with great confidence.  I was loving it to, as I had never
experienced Chilcoot as a powder run in 15 years of skiing Smuggs. From
here we went over to the Shire, where once again we were among the first
half-dozen set of tracks, and Sonya declared it the best birthday ever!

A second ride up M1, and we took Drifter to Shuttle, for a new black
diamond experience for Sonya.  If you know the trail, you know it is a mix
of flats and steeper pitches, with one particular pitch being steeper and
longer than the others.  Sonya skied the first third of this pitch fine,
then suddenly stopped.  She started side slipping down the edge of the
pitch.  I reminded her to get both hands down the hill and make a turn, but
she said she just wanted to side slip.  I realized she was tired and let
her be.  For a couple of minutes she carefully but confidently sideslipped.
A  bit later, at a soft patch,  she made a turn, and suddenly made a series
of well linked turns down the rest of the pitch.  I caught up to her at the
bottom where she was standing looking back up at the steep trail she jus
descended. "Wow, I just skied that?" she asked.

 "Quite well," I replied. "Now, let's call it a day and go to the pool."