But, to be fair, there are people who like mountains like that.  They probably also like Alta and Squaw.  All three have that combination I don’t enjoy, but many do:  big open terrain, heavy on the steeps.  Because all three are also heavy on the skiers who like that kind of terrain, they get tracked out faster.

That lift layout at KH, however, is just awful.  For of the terrain, you have no choice but to ski all the way to the bottom – a 4K+ descent that includes mixed terrain and possibly mixed conditions.  When we were there, the lower mountain had heinous conditions, and thus we avoided it.  So, for 2800 acres, we ended up skiing the same few hundred acres multiple times, and felt like we had skied the resort out in an afternoon.

From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Leigh Daboll
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Non-VT: Kicking Horse 2/23-24

I have been to both mountains several times, in many types of conditions, good and bad.

Overall, Revi wins this contest hands down.  Way more snow, more skiable terrain, more easy-to-get-to side country, just-as-good steeps with less tracks (the short hike to the bowls sees to that, better lift layout (although that's not saying much).  Much cooler vibe in town, Rogers Pass is closer...

I could go on.  But there is a reason Revi rated as the # 1 resort in Powder's ski resort list this year and KH barely made the list.

While both resorts have their boosters and detractors, there is a reason that KH is nearly always empty in comparison to other relatively nearby resorts, and it is not simply because of a lack of intermediate terrain.   I could easily build a week-long group trip around Revi - not so with KH.

The only caveat to the foregoing  is that in extremely unusual years like this one, Revi's rain line is higher.

This is not to say that KH is bad, (far from it) but, Sharon, I don't even think that you have been up into Revi's upper hike-to bowl terrain....just sayin'

LEIGH