I would not accuse the folks at "stat.tamu.edu" of providing a "Bad Bad
App".  Their failing, if you can call it that, is that they have failed
to follow Oracle's every shifting demand to allow execution of Java
applets in current versions of the Java runtime environment.  This is a
huge problem for everyone who writes client-side Java code, especially
if that code is launched from a browser.

The only workable solution is to get the application author to bone up
on current Java applet security requirements, set up a proper package
manifest, and re-sign the apps with a valid, trusted code signing
certificate.

Another possible solution, which likely is not workable, is to get every
use of the VDI pool to add the stat.tamu.edu application to their
personal site exceptions list in the Java control panel. Because you are
using mandatory roaming profiles, this change will get wiped out at
logoff, and the users would need to add the exception again at next logon.

The browser that you use to launch the Java code tends to be of little
consequence.  Most of the execution restrictions are coming from Java
itself, not your browser.  However, the the retirement of NPAPI support
in Chrome, you may as well not even try to use Chrome for running Java
code anymore.

Sorry not to have better news.  Oracle seems do be working very hard to
kill Java on the web.

-J. Greg Mackinnon | ETS Systems Architecture and Administration | x68251