I keep most of my non-UVM passwords in a password protected Excel file, saved on Google Drive, secured by Google's two-factor authentication. I use two-factor authentication wherever I can, but unfortunately many/most places still don't have it, and force you to answer security questions whose answers could be easily discovered or guessed or would be already known to people who know me. I have started making up phony answers to the security questions, which means I have to record them somewhere too; they are also going into my Excel file. I have considered using a password vault/app for quite some time, and have read lots of reviews of the various services. All of the ones I have looked at have some feature that I don't like. And then there is the huge amount of work it would take to transfer all my existing passwords.

My UVM passwords and my Google password are not recorded anywhere. I have several UVM accounts (including NetID, .adm, -tech, and two departmental accounts). I have resisted the temptation of using the same password for all of the UVM accounts, but I sometimes have trouble remembering the ones that are used less frequently. And it's a huge ordeal whenever I have to change them. It takes lots of thought and experimentation to come up with new passwords that adhere to the rules, can be easily remembered, and are easy to type. I sometimes end up with passwords that I end up hating because of typing difficulty, but I keep them for a year until I'm forced to change again.

I really wish passwords would die already. Heck, I'd be willing to have a chip implanted in my wrist if it meant I never had to deal with passwords again.