As the Interim ISO, I can tell you that the policy and procedures documentation is up to interpretation. Nowhere does it specifically exclude the use of password vaults like LastPass but it also makes it clear that any abuse of username/password is the responsibility of the account holder. (references below)

My personal opinion on password vaults is that they should be used only if you: have done research to indicate that the vendor is the best one for your needs, the vendor is reputable and stable with a good track record for security, there is no other way for you to handle all of your passwords securely and confidentially. I do not use a vault and will try to avoid them. But, if there was a choice between writing passwords in plain text on a sticky note or using a reputable password vault – I’d chose the vault.

In the Information Security Policy it states:

This means that, in accordance with the provisions articulated in this Policy and the Procedures, community members are responsible for their use or misuse of University Information and must protect the foregoing from unauthorized distribution, interception or access. Therefore, all members of the University community must comply with provisions in the Procedures that:

(d) Require them to safeguard all physical or electronic keys to University Information Systems or University Information, including, without limitation, requirements related to passwords, ID cards, computer/network account or electronic tokens;

The Acceptable Use policy states:

By accepting or using any UVM computer, network account or connection, or other information and communication technology services provided to him or her by the University, each User understands and agrees to the following …:

1. Account Responsibility: Individual Users are responsible for all uses of University-provided computers, network connections and accounts, and other information and communication technology services, including data backup and password maintenance, under the electronic identity assigned to them by the University.

And in the Information Security Procedures under Personal Responsibilty:

6.5. Individuals must safeguard all physical keys such as ID cards or electronic tokens, including computer account (NetID) passwords, that provide access to Protected University Information.

Under Employee Responsibilty:

7.3. Individuals must safeguard any physical key, ID card, computer/network account or electronic token that provides access to confidential information. This includes safeguarding computer account (NetID) passwords. Users are personally accountable for all network and systems access under their NetID and must keep their password absolutely secret. Passwords must never be shared with anyone, not even family members, friends, or technology support staff.

College of Medicine Technology Services

(802) 656-9019

Information Security Office

(802) 656-1174