We believe that we have restored users’ home directories to state that includes the data from before the deletion event, and preserves any changed or added files from work done yesterday. Please reach out to the folks who encountered problems yesterday and confirm that the issue has been resolved.

If you have folks with continuing problems, please contact the Tech Team, who will gather data and escalate appropriately.

Thanks for your patience as we worked through this issue, and our sincere apologies for the inconvenience this caused.

--Geoff

From: Technology Discussion at UVM [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Geoffrey Duke
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 3:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Windows home directory deletions

It has taken us some time to unravel the problem, but we think we know what happened. However, it means that many more people may have been affected by file or directory deletion within their home directory.

We’re in the process of recovering the volume on which the deletions happened from last night’s backup. We will copy any missing data from the backup, preserving any files that have been added or modified since last night. Users may see files reappear that they deleted today.

We’re working to restore access as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I don’t have a good estimate for how long this recovery is likely to take. Offline Files, if enabled for your clients, will likely keep them working while we get data back into place.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience that is causing you and your clients.

--Geoff

Geoffrey Duke

802.656.1172 | Sr System Administrator | Enterprise Technology Services | University of Vermont