Our Evidence-Based Practice Council is reviewing this topic. I have done an extensive literature review for them which they used in developing their recommendations.

When they presented their recommendations to a larger committee, the chair of the Department of Medicine asked these questions:

*         Did the council actually obtain best practices for obtaining heights and weights from other like hospitals?

*         Who, when, how, and where?

*         What are the best hospitals in the country actually doing about this?

FYI: we are a 1000+ bed hospital system, a major teaching hospital, ranked 22nd in nation for hospital admissions, Level I trauma center, Level 3 NICU.

So I am asking you if your hospital (no matter its size) has a standard way/best practice to estimate a patient's height and weight when they are unable to stand.

Please reply to me off list, and I will summarize if there is interest.

Thanks,

Barbara

Barbara J. Henry, MLS
Director, Medical Libraries
Lewis B. Flinn Medical Library
Christiana Hospital
4755 Ogletown Stanton Road
Room 1E60
P.O. Box 6001
Newark, DE 19718

Phone 302-733-1151
Fax 302-733-1365

Medical libraries - your link between evidence and informed decisions