On Tue, 14 Jul 2015, Jarlath ONeil-Dunne wrote:

> Would it be possible to get 24 hours notice in the future along with a more specific listing of services that will be affected (e.g. “netfiles02”) in the future?  That would give us
> sufficient time to rearrange work schedules and processing tasks.

I'm sorry this maintenance work caused problems for you. Notice was given
on July 8th, so well more than 24 hours in advance.

The message was worded fairly generally, about "performing maintenance on
the connectivity between Campus and Tech Park" and "services affected
during this maintenance  could be email, file access..." because the
maintenance had a small potential for impacting nearly anything at Tech
Park.  Being much more specific would have required listing every service
at Tech Park (hundreds of things).

Happily, nearly every service handled the failover and failback of the
core switches being removed very well.  netfiles02 was one of the few that
had problems, and since it affects a relatively small number of people, we
decided to continue work on the switches and to deal with netfiles02 after
the switch maintenance work is complete.

We'll get netfiles02 back online tonight.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this caused you.

Mike