Compare the differences between this cautious NY
Times letter (most likely heavily edited) from
Robert F. Kennedy Jr., and RFK's article on the
same topic in a right-wing journal (also, below)!

- Mitchel Cohen

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/10/opinion/robert-f-kennedy-jr-on-mercury-in-vaccines.html?_r=0

Robert F. Kennedy Jr., on Mercury in Vaccines

JULY 10, 2015

Re
“<http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/05/opinion/sunday/frank-bruni-california-camelot-and-vaccines.html>California,
Camelot and Vaccines” (column, July 5): Frank
Bruni says mercury has been removed from most
American vaccines. But there are large doses in
some tetanus and meningitis vaccines, and in
about a third of the more than 150 million doses
of flu vaccine available this past flu season.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
recommends annual flu shots, including for
pregnant mothers and infants over 6 months.

Mr. Bruni says he sides with the C.D.C. version
of what the science says. There is a peril in
faith in government orthodoxies. Scathing reports
by House and Senate subcommittees paint the
C.D.C. as a cesspool of corruption, including
scandalous conflicts with the $25 billion vaccine industry.

In August a C.D.C. senior vaccine scientist, Dr.
William Thompson, invoked federal whistle-blower
protection, confessing that C.D.C. scientists had
buried data linking vaccines to autism and other neurological harms.

In researching our book, “Thimerosal: Let the
Science Speak,” Dr. Martha R. Herbert, Dr. Mark
Hyman and I identified hundreds of peer-reviewed
studies by government and university scientists
showing that thimerosal, a mercury-containing
preservative, is a devastating toxin linked to
neurological disorders now epidemic in American
children. Among these were 39 studies strongly
suggesting that thimerosal causes autism.

The media’s undue reverence for the C.D.C. has
emboldened bad agency behavior that jeopardizes
vaccine safety. The best way to promote vaccine
compliance is through intense media scrutiny that
will restore integrity and credibility at the C.D.C.

I am pro-vaccine, but I want safe vaccines,
robust regulators and transparent science.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY Jr.

New York

The writer is an environmental lawyer.

*********************************
http://www.wnd.com/2015/07/press-trusts-government-too-much-on-vaccines/

Press trusts government too much on vaccines

Exclusive: Robert F. Kennedy Jr. rips columnist for relying on 'scandalous' CDC

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. serves as Senior Attorney
for the Natural Resources Defense Council, Chief
Prosecuting Attorney for the Hudson Riverkeeper
and President of Waterkeeper Alliance. He is also
a Clinical Professor and Supervising Attorney at
Pace University School of Law’s Environmental
Litigation Clinic and is co-host of "Ring of Fire" on Air America Radio.

by Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.

Frank Bruni’s angry tirade against me in
<http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/05/opinion/sunday/frank-bruni-california-camelot-and-vaccines.html>his
Sunday New York Times column took me by surprise.
Last February, we’d had a brief, friendly and
mutually respectful telephone conversation. He
had written an article about vaccine safety at
the end of January, and I asked if he would allow
me to show him some of the recent scientific
studies linking thimerosal to a range of brain
injuries. I also wanted to show him the
transcripts of statements by CDC whistleblower
Dr. William Thompson discussing the troubling
disarray and deception within CDC’s vaccine program.

Bruni told me he would be delighted to look at
the materials. He said he was under deadline at
the moment, but he cordially invited me to call
back to schedule lunch. Both of us are busy, so I
was not surprised that he did not return my
follow-up call the next week. Bruni now reveals
that he was deliberately dodging my phone call
because he was frightened that I would use the
lunch meeting to “scaremonger” him.

It’s disappointing that a columnist for America’s
leading publication can be “scaremongered” by
facts. The sad outcome is that instead of the
enlightened, civil debate our country deserves,
Bruni delivers in this past Sunday’s column the
same tired species of invective and ad hominem
attack that have long characterized the vaccine controversy.

In the two instances that he ventures from insult
into substance, Bruni gets it wrong. He
erroneously suggests that mercury has been
removed from all pediatric vaccines. In fact
there are massive doses of mercury in some
meningitis vaccines – now mandated for all
schoolchildren in New York – and in vaccines
given to pregnant women, infants and annually to
public school kids. To the ingredients of those
vaccines, pharmaceutical companies have recently
added aluminum adjuvants that act synergistically
to dramatically amplify the neurotoxicity of the
remaining mercury. Finally, pharmaceutical
companies merely reduced mercury levels in
pediatric vaccines given to American children. We
continue to send the range of pediatric vaccines
fully loaded with mercury to children in
developing nations in Asia, Africa, Latin America
and the Middle East, a practice that will haunt
our country in many dreadful ways.

In defending thimerosal safety, Bruni alludes to
the debunked industry canard that the
ethylmercury in vaccines is less persistent in
the body and therefore less toxic than the
heavily regulated methylmercury in fish. However,
the best and most recent science shows that
ethylmercury is twice as persistent in the brain
(Burbacher et al. 2004) and 50 times as toxic as
methylmercury in fish (Guzzi et al. 2010).

Bruni acknowledges that he relies on CDC’s
version of what the science says rather than
reading science himself. There is a peril in
unctuous faith in government orthodoxies. Four
scathing federal studies by Congress, the U.S.
Senate, the HHS inspector general and the HHS
Office of Research Integrity paint CDC’s vaccine
division a cesspool of corruption due to
scandalous conflicts with the $30 billion vaccine
industry. In August, CDC’s senior vaccine
scientist, Dr. William Thompson, invoked federal
whistleblower protection, confessing that CDC
supervisors systematically require vaccine
division scientists to bury data linking vaccines
to autism and other neurologic harms.

In our book, a review of the published science,
Dr. Martha Herbert, Dr. Mark Hyman and I
identified hundreds of peer reviewed studies by
leading government and university scientists
showing that thimerosal, a mercury-containing
preservative, is a devastating neurologic toxin
linked to neurological disorders now epidemic in
American children, including ADD, ADHD, low IQ,
speech development delays and tics.
<http://robertfkennedyjr.com/vaccines.html#>I
have posted a digest of these studies on my
website. We found no published study proving thimerosal safe.

Bruni is left making the strange and anemic
argument that if pharmaceutical companies were
truly driven by greed, as purportedly cynical
thimerosal opponents believe, Pharma’s best
business strategy would be to stop manufacturing
vaccines, let contagions run rampant, and then
profiteer on medicine sales. I’m not jumping into
that shark tank with Bruni, but I will dip in one
toe by pointing out that Pharma is making plenty
of dough selling Adderall, Prozac and dozens of
other best-selling drugs to treat the
neurological injuries that now affect one in six
American children. All these illnesses are
consistent with symptoms documented in mass
mercury poisonings around the globe.

Frank Bruni and other American journalists need
to start reading the science themselves and stop
allowing compromised government bureaucrats tell
them what the science supposedly says.

The media’s undue reverence for CDC has
emboldened bad agency behavior that jeopardizes
vaccine safety. The best way to promote vaccine
participation and compliance is through intense
media scrutiny that will restore integrity and credibility at CDC.