I received the following comments in response to my query on experiences with the  R2 PDA Program in hospital libraries.

(1)    I have the R2 PDA service and really haven't found it that useful.  I have only had 3 titles trigger on it since 2013.

(2)     I saw  your request for comments on MEDLIB re: R2 PDA. I currently have a PDA trial going with 10 books. I have used it before as well. Any title viewed below the table of contents moves the book out of circulation and into a shopping cart for me to decide whether or not to buy. I receive usage reports weekly  and am notified when a title gets moved to the shopping cart. You are not automatically charged for any books - the librarian makes the final decision. It's a pretty easy way to "try out" titles rather than purchasing them outright and hope they'll get used.
For my particular library, which is a hospital library, I made the arbitrary decision to pull       any titles not moved to a shopping cart after three months.
If you had specific questions I'd be happy to address them as well. I like the R2 platform   and think it's easy to navigate and I like how they display usage statistics.

(3)    We have use the PDA function of R2. We have selected some books and nursing packages and entered them in our catalog.  We do get usage reports so we can see what is being viewed.

I have had no problems with it, and I like the concept-especially since we are not automatically 'forced' to purchase a book.

My concerns and consternation is not with R2-it is that so few people actually use our catalog.  We're a non-profit teaching hospital, not affiliated with a university.  I think librarians use the catalog more than anyone else. See the hits on the PDA books help confirm this-very few hits and I suspect some of the hits are from us librarians.

A big thank you to these respondents.

Ann L. Schaap, System Medical Librarian
Norton Healthcare Medical Library
P.O. Box 35070, Louisville, KY  40232
(502 629-8127

This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any patient health information must be delivered immediately to intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at either the e-mail address or telephone number above and discard this e-mail. Thank you.