-----Original Message-----

From: "Romsted, Laurence"
 Sent: Feb 23, 2015 1:43 PM
<[log in to unmask]>To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Mission Statement from Katherine Yih presentation

Hmmmm.

How about:  “Occupy Science!”

"Science for the 99%

Larry

2.  Mission statement from Charlie for Occupy Education Northern California

From: Charles Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, February 23, 2015 at 1:31 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

Friends;

Here is a sharply drawn statement, published last year by a local group of activists. It may give you some useful ideas.

Charlie

- - - - - - - - - -

Mission Statement for Occupy Education Northern California

The attack on public education is one aspect of a larger attack on the public sector and on democracy more generally, where corporate interests now dominate political, social, and economic decisions. Occupy Wall Street has reshaped the debate over this country’s direction with the demand that the destruction of our communities and our earth resulting from corporatization must end: we seek something entirely different.

Occupy Education Northern California shares these broad goals and believes that we need more than simply increased funding for public education. The problems with education are deeply linked to and cannot be treated separately from racism; privatization; global economic competition rather than cooperation; and lack of access to food, housing, and healthcare. In order to address these issues, we must change the conditions in which students live and learn and provide them with tools to reimagine and reclaim their futures. Furthermore, education must prepare students to be empowered participants in a democratic community and to take respectful care of each other and of the planet.

To these ends, this is our vision:

  • Public education, from birth to life-long learning, is to be government-funded and free of charge for all individuals.
  • End the privatization of education, which includes funding cuts and fee hikes, top-down control, outsourced labor, standardized test-driven curricula, competition for access to schools, internet-based classes without human interaction, and the militarization of our campuses.
  • Education must be shaped by the needs of students, teachers, workers, and community members with their full, democratic participation in decision-making.
  • In the interests of education and all other public services, end corporate personhood and revoke the charter of any corporation that acts against the public’s political, financial, social, or environmental wellbeing.
  • Focus the goals of education on supporting the ethical and democratic interests of all the world’s inhabitants.

3.  SftP Mission Statement from Julie at link below.  I confess I forgot about this completely while working on mine.