Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I understand the question as "Is it ok to cite X and how do I cite X?"  I didn't understand the question as "My doc is looking for a better/more authoritative source to cite."   For whatever reason, the doc likes what MeSH says on this topic with regard to his or her project and wants to use it and cite it appropriately.  Please correct me if I am off track with the question.

To my knowledge there's no law that says "you can't cite these sorts of things."  There is law about using things without citing them.

This citation guide gives a number of examples that might work.  I'm not sure if you would cite it as a website, journal or magazine article from a database, a government publication  or maybe even an online encyclopedia article.
http://www.library.illinois.edu/learn/research/citation/ama.html

MeSH is a database, so I am leaning toward citing it as database content. I don't have an up to date AMA style guide to look it up in detail.

This is not AMA style, but it does show an example of citing MeSH at #41
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/uniform_requirements.html

V/r,

Beatrice F. Nichols, MA LIS
Library Director
Landstuhl Regional Medical Center
06371-9464-5200
590-5200

ARMY MEDICAL LIBRARIES – HEALING THROUGH KNOWLEDGE