I will second Patti's recommendation to use PubMed and Linkout for searching and access.  You can use the CK search engine for broad topics, but it's terrible for narrow topics unless it's a very common one.

Don't bother trying to obtain training from Clinical Key.  We listened in on one of the recent training webinars and spent the whole time cringing for the poor trainer who had only surface knowledge of Clinical Key.

Jeanette

-----Original Message-----
From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Patti Reynolds
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 2:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: How bad is the ClinicalKey search engine?

I have all of the clinical key journals linked in to PubMed.  So when it comes to searching I depend on PubMed. If I know where the article is located I can go directly to the journal but even then I rely on PubMed to connect me with a direct link using Linkout.

Patti reynolds

Sent from my iPad

> On Aug 11, 2015, at 3:54 PM, Brian Baker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> <vent>
>
> Dear Colleagues (and vendors, if you are monitoring this list),
>
> We just searched "ice pack applications" under Guidelines, Pediatric, and returned "Diagnosis and treatment of respiratory illness in children and adults" from 1994.
>
> I always seem to get such random articles whenever I search ClinicalKey, unless I know a title, and go to that specific journal.
>
> A basic search, though, seems to turn up completely random material.
>
> Why?  Why is their algorithm seemingly so poor?  Why can't they give us some boolean options, or segment options, so we can focus our searches.
>
> Why, ClinicalKey, why?
>
> There are far superior search engines out there.  Why do we pay so much for such a lousy one?
>
> Yes, I like your collection of full text journal and books.  If I know specifically what I am looking for, and where to find it before I search, I can get right to the item.
>
> But, with a general search, like above, I have no idea why you return items that you do.
>
> Help?!?
>
> </vent>
>
> Thank you,
>
> Brian
>

> Brian L. Baker, MLS, JD
> Medical Librarian, Medical Library
>

> 9300 Valley Children's Place | MS - GE12  |  Madera, CA 93636
> D: (559) 353-6170 | C: (559) 960-7374 | F: (559) 353-6176 |
> [log in to unmask] If it takes you more than 10 minutes to find anything, you are wasting time.  Contact the Medical Library.  Finding what you need, no matter how obscure, is what we do.
>
> This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Valley Children's Healthcare proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Valley Children's. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.

This email and attachments contain information that may be confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender at once and delete this message completely from your information system. Further use, disclosure, or copying of information contained in this email is not authorized, and any such action should not be construed as a waiver of privilege or other confidentiality protections.