One thing that works a lot for me (though I've not seen this error
code) is deleting the Software Distribution folder in Windows - it
will recreate it the next time you search for updates (but will have
forgotten the update history).  It may be in no way related but it may
help someone at some other point, who knows?

--
Pamala J. Smith
Bailey/Howe Library