So, I wanted to report back my findings on this.

It seems that my issues may be related to asynchronous running of the GPO,
logon scripts and the system starting. I have found that the drives that
aren't seen in Explorer (but are at the command prompt) ARE seen if I were
to run another application, lets say Word. Also, if I were to restart the
Explorer process they show right back up and are accessible.

I was able to (seemingly) fix the problem by setting the local computer
policy of CC>Administrative Templates>System>Logon>Always wait for the
network at computer startup and logon to enabled. With this setting on it
takes a little bit longer to log in, but when the logon happens the drives
are all there and visible. I haven't been able to repeat my issue after
doing this.

This works OK for this desktop system I'm working with. It'll be a
stationary machine and will always be plugged into a wired connection. This
won't solve the issues for other machines on my network, though, as I cannot
push this policy through my GPO because of the mobile workstations we have.
I tested it on a laptop with the network turned off and the machine would
not login, even using cached credentials.

So, I seemed to have solved my current issue with this, but I foresee other
issues down the road unless I can think of other ways to mitigate the
problem.