Thank you,
But I did this, and after searching for about 10 minutes, Windows Update
said there were no updates to install.

The last time that Windows updates were installed was 3/29/15.
(Antivirus definitions have been updated since then.)
On Oct 28th when I turned on this laptop after quite a while of sitting
unused, and tried to run Windows Update, it did install Windows Update
Agent 7.6.7600.320 successfully.
But then never found any more updates.

other suggestions?

Thanks,