Speedtest.net is showing to be very erratic in my testing as well.  Usually it's decent b/c Burlington Telecom hosts a server and we are directly connected to them at 1Gb/s.  But like Nick, I'm getting very asymmetric results to the point where I wonder if BT is throttling upload speeds.

There is an internal server that is worth trying.  It is experimental at this stage, but is giving me much more consistent results than BT's server:

http://perfsonar-wat.uvm.edu:7123/

Jarlath, let me know if you're still seeing slow speeds today.  None of our logging systems are showing anything interesting at this time but I can certainly look into it more.

Thanks,
-dan

Dan Brisson
Network Engineer