If the TV has multiple HDMI ports, why not have an AppleTV and another PC-friendly option? I recently saw a demo of an ActionTec device that seemed to work nicely. I wouldn't want to have to install software on my device just to be able to present to your screen.

--Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: Technology Discussion at UVM [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dan Brisson
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2015 5:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: AppleTV vs AirMedia

With respect to the AppleTV profileration, Jonathan is right although
Apple has made it much easier to do AirPlay mirroring with the later
model Apple TVs and tablets/phones/laptops.

The "discovery" of the Apple TV is actually done over Bluetooth and then
the mirroring is done over an ad hoc wireless network between the
tablet/phone/laptop and the AppleTV.  In that scenario, the mDNS traffic
snooping that the wireless controllers are doing doesn't even come into
play.

So barring Apple deciding to change something, it does seem like Apple
TVs are a good, low-cost option.

-dan