So, here’s something super odd. I have been using Group Policy Objects to map drives on our systems now for years. These policies have been set up and they work absolutely fine in my environment which is 99%+ Windows 7 currently. I have been running Windows 10 since the first day it was available to us here, because you know, I’m brave. I had seen throughout the last three or so months on my system that occasionally out of nowhere, I’d completely lose a mapped drive. When I’d pull up an application I wrote that helps my users map drives while remotely, the tool would actually report the drive was already mapped – even though it wasn’t in Windows at all. Occasionally toggling the drive off and then back on would bring it back, other times I’d need to reboot my computer to get it back. Then, it’d disappear again down the road. Because I’m a patient person and this was my personal machine, I shelved the issue and moved on to more important things.

Fast forward to today… I’m considering building my first Windows 10 machine that will be used by my user, so now we’re working with different hardware completely. I get the machine all built, domain joined and all is well. Then I notice that one of our mapped drives “J:” is not showing up. We have some applications that look at configurations that sit on this drive and when I try to use them they complain that they can’t find the file. Now, this is where things get weird… I drop down to a command prompt and I switch to the drive, and it’s there! I can list the files, change directories, etc. But, it’s completely unavailable to Windows. See the screenshot at the bottom of this email and you’ll see me listing the mapped drive, but not able to access it. Running a gpresult says that the mapping was a success.

Unfortunately, this isn’t 100% reproducible. The next startup, all drives could be mapped and available, or one or more might be like this. I do allow time for the processing of the GPO, I’m on a gig wired network connection and the system is a 3rd Gen i7 with 16gb of RAM and an SSD.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Mickey Mossey

Senior Associate Director of Information Technology

Programming & System Administration

University of Vermont Foundation

Personal Line:   802-656-4133

IT Main Line:    802-656-8310