I went through this with Network Services over this past summer.  Speedtest isn’t the best diagnostic tool because of the spurious asymmetry.

Unfortunately the “official” web100.uvm.edu test site depends on Java with all the ugliness that entails.

It would be great, hint hint, to have an officially supported and java independent local network testing site.

AEH

> On Oct 19, 2015, at 11:43 AM, Ernie Buford <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for sharing that, Dan. We have been looking for a reliable test to run in attempts to rule out network issues when we experience performance problems over here in Aiken. Speedtest.net <http://speedtest.net/> usually selects Burlington Telecom as test server based on ping results. I get 488 Mbps down and 31 up right now.
>
> Your local, experimental server reports 600+ Mbps up and down this morning. A battery of other tests using off-campus sources shows rather poor upload speeds...
>
> DSLreports: 683 down, 64 up
> Comcast: 429 down, 5 up
> Speakeasy: 691 down, 8 up
> Verizon: 537 down, 10 up
> testmy.net <http://testmy.net/>: 35 down, 1 up
>
> Interesting... but informative?
>
> Ernie
>
> On 10/19/2015 8:52 AM, Dan Brisson wrote:
>> Speedtest.net is showing to be very erratic in my testing as well.  Usually it's decent b/c Burlington Telecom hosts a server and we are directly connected to them at 1Gb/s.  But like Nick, I'm getting very asymmetric results to the point where I wonder if BT is throttling upload speeds.
>>
>> There is an internal server that is worth trying.  It is experimental at this stage, but is giving me much more consistent results than BT's server:
>>
>> http://perfsonar-wat.uvm.edu:7123/ <http://perfsonar-wat.uvm.edu:7123/>
>>
>> Jarlath, let me know if you're still seeing slow speeds today.  None of our logging systems are showing anything interesting at this time but I can certainly look into it more.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -dan
>>

>> Dan Brisson
>> Network Engineer
>> University of Vermont
>> (Ph) 802.656.8111
>> On 10/19/2015 8:04 AM, Nick Gingrow wrote:
>>> Interesting, I just ran it and got 322Mbps down and only 25 Mbps up.
>>>

>>> Nick Gingrow
>>> UVM School of Business
>>> IT Professional
>>> 802.656.0714