There are some who will suggest backing up and reimaging the machine via litetouch.

But, try one more thing:  The System Update Readiness tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

The above is the 64 bit version, check to verify that you have 64 bit and not 32 bit.  There is a 32 bit version that you can find via a google search.

AEH

> On Oct 30, 2015, at 3:17 PM, Diantha Howard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Thank you,
> But I did this, and after searching for about 10 minutes, Windows Update said there were no updates to install.
>
> The last time that Windows updates were installed was 3/29/15.  (Antivirus definitions have been updated since then.)
> On Oct 28th when I turned on this laptop after quite a while of sitting unused, and tried to run Windows Update, it did install Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320 successfully.
> But then never found any more updates.
>
> other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Diantha
>
> On 10/30/2015 2:41 PM, Scott Martindale wrote:
>> I would run "gpedit.msc" and then disable the updates from the intranet setting and see if that works.
>>
>> Looking at the technet, I believe this is the correct setting:
>> In Group Policy Object Editor, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Windows Components, and then click Windows Update.
>>
>> Where it says "Specify Intranet Microsoft update service location.", switch it to disabled or not configured.
>>
>> -Scott
>>

>>> On 30 oct 2015, at 13:19, Diantha Howard < <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a Latitude E6400 running Windows 7.  It is not joined to the campus domain, but I have plugged it into a UVM network port from time to time.
>>> For the past few months, It hasn't been getting updates.
>>> When I run Windows update - with the default "check for updates managed by your system administrator", it finds no updates.  When I change to "check online for updates from Microsoft Update", it searches for quite a while, then gets error "Windows could not search for new updates." Code 8007000E.  When I run the "Windows Update Troubleshooter", it claims that it fixes errors.  When I "try again" - same thing.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Diantha
>>>
>>> --
>>> Diantha Howard
>>> Biomedical Informatics
>>> Center for Clinical and Translational Science
>>> Given Courtyard S351
>>> University of Vermont
>>> (802) 656-8287
>>

> --
> Diantha Howard
> Biomedical Informatics
> Center for Clinical and Translational Science
> Given Courtyard S351
> University of Vermont
> (802) 656-8287

Andrew Hendrickson