Hey Mary,

Statute allows you to do one of 2 things:

1.       Print all the language on the ballot, or

2.       Print a general approval question on the ballot and post all the language in the voting booths.

There are pros & cons to both.  If you print all the language on the ballot, you can actually have voters vote on each individual section separately.  However, if you do one general question and post the language in the voting booths, the general question has to be for the complete charter changes, and it’s one yes or no vote – up for down for everything.  But the cost of printing ballots is less.

Here’s the way we’ve worded charter revisions – both versions:

Version 1

Warning language

ARTICLE XXIII

Shall the Barre City voters amend the City of Barre Charter as summarized below?

Following is a summary of those proposed amendments:

The complete wording of the proposed amendments is available for review and copying in the office of the City Clerk, and will be posted in the voting booths.

Ballot language

Article XXIII – Shall the Barre City Voters amend the City of Barre Charter, Chapters I, II, V, VI and VII as warned (complete text of changes is posted in the voting booths)?

**************

Version 2 – we listed each section separately.  Here’s an example of one section.

ARTICLE II

Shall Chapter I and Chapter 7 of the Barre City Charter be hereby amended as follows:

Note:    [--]  Brackets/strikethrough indicate deletions

                ___  Underline/bold indicates additions

CHAPTER II.  ELECTIONS AND CITY MEETINGS

Sec. 204. Polling Places.

All annual and special elections and meetings shall be held at a central polling place in the city to be designated by the council and which location is to be set forth in the warning.  The conduct of said elections and meetings shall conform where applicable to the requirements as set forth in [Chapter 55, Subchapter 2 of Title l7, V.S.A.] 17 V.S.A. §§2640-2667.

Sec. 205. Officers elected.

The legal voters shall elect biennially a mayor, [a city clerk and treasurer, and] a first constable, and one person to serve as clerk and treasurer.  Annually, the legal voters of each ward shall elect from among the legal voters of their respective wards, one [alderman] councilor for a term of two (2) years  Annually, the legal voters shall elect three school commissioners to serve for a term of three years. (Amend. of 3/02/82, 4/21/93, 3/2/10)

                The legal voters shall elect annually Spaulding Union High School District school board members in the manner, number and term limit as is specified in the Barre City/Barre Town Union High School Agreement, dated November 30, 1986, or any such successor document.

Ballot language was identical.

Carol

Carolyn S. Dawes CVC CVT

Barre City Clerk/Treasurer