The stock image was Yosemite. I manually upgraded to El Capitan. I tried
reinstalling and arrive at the same issues. I didnt try to roll back to
Yosemite yet. I've got to find an image though.  I threw linux on there as
a test and it only made the mini way better than when it was a mac. I might
just make it a custom mint box instead. I almost bought mint boxes instead
of minis. I'm kicking myself now. The mint boxes were a few hundred dollars
cheaper per machine than the minis too. They had similar performance specs
too, with more room for hardware upgrades.  Ohh well. What's done is done.
Now it's time to troubleshoot the beast.

On a different note, what do you all prefer as a package manager for mac;
homebrew or macports?