Oops, forgot to mention, but all of AutoDesk's programs are free to
educators and students as well and Maya is actually more user friendly than
Blender. Maybe that would be an option.

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/maya
<http://www.autodesk.com/products/maya/overview-dts?s_tnt=69290:1:0>