The stock image was Yosemite. I manually upgraded to El Capitan. I tried reinstalling and arrive at the same issues. I didnt try to roll back to Yosemite yet. I've got to find an image though.  I threw linux on there as a test and it only made the mini way better than when it was a mac. I might just make it a custom mint box instead. I almost bought mint boxes instead of minis. I'm kicking myself now. The mint boxes were a few hundred dollars cheaper per machine than the minis too. They had similar performance specs too, with more room for hardware upgrades.  Ohh well. What's done is done. Now it's time to troubleshoot the beast.

On a different note, what do you all prefer as a package manager for mac; homebrew or macports?