This issue has been around the block before. Appears sporadic, and is then
corrected by various web browser updates.

Possible causes:
Gears / offline access
Being logged in on multiple accounts
and cache

In my case, I had the 'Google Doc white screen of death' happen using
safari.

Cleared the cache: No effect.
Was signed in on two accounts on one browser. Logged off one of them.
Problem solved.

We win,

Adam