Well my first question is why is the sonographer handling the probe? When I do ultrasound guided access for thermal ablation or for sclero or for pseudoaneurysm injection I am sterile and the probe is covered with the sterile sleeve, I am the only one handling both the probe and the needles. If I stick myself I have no one else to blame.  I learned long ago that ultrasound guided access is a bimanual procedure, i.e., the operator needs to have both the probe and the needles in hand.
Joe

Joseph R. Schneider, M.D., Ph.D., F.A.C.S., R.V.T., R.P.V.I.
Vascular Surgery and Interventional Radiology Partners/VSIR