Wasn't really birding but wound up on the Victory road taking snap shots and
listening at the same time. Crossbills still flying around with lots of
Yellow-rumped, R.B. Nuthatch & Junco Activity. A big thank you to Elliott &
Lesley Smith of N. Hero who found a male Spruce Grouse at the trailhead for
the pipeline west. We all took off for that location & Elliot re-found the
bird half way a Spruce tree. So there is still at least one Spruce Grouse
still out there!!

Glenn Kincaid (Santa Barbara County big Green year) is hot on the tail/trail
of the Vernont eBird list for the year: 261 for all the birders in Vermont
with Glenn at 256. As you may remember Glenn has to walk or bike to every
bird he finds the entire year while we all get to use any form of
transportation we want. I guess that's some sort of equalizer. With just
about 85 days left this one's too close to call. I'll donate an extra $100
to Vermont Ecostudies eBird if we beat him or let Glenn choose a suitable
alternative if he catches and passes us. List from today below.

Tom Berriman

http://sbgreenbigyear.blogspot.com/2015_10_01_archive.html

Victory, River Rd, Essex, Vermont, US

Oct 8, 2015 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Protocol: Traveling

3.0 mile(s)

27 species

Canada Goose  70     Flyover formation

Ruffed Grouse  1

Spruce Grouse  1     Male

Downy Woodpecker  1

Hairy Woodpecker  1

Pileated Woodpecker  1

Blue-headed Vireo  1

Blue Jay  X

Common Raven  12     2 residents birds found another 10 flyovers in groups
of three & four headed south very high up, calling

Black-capped Chickadee  X

Red-breasted Nuthatch  X

Brown Creeper  1

Golden-crowned Kinglet  4