From: "Sarah Fellows" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Vermont Birds" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2015 8:54:48 AM
Subject: [VTBIRD] grackles

We were walking in deep woods in Williston Monday afternoon around 4pm when we heard a great cacophony just over and down a hill. My first thought was really late,really loud peepers, but then we came upon them and there were hundreds, if not thousands of grackles flitting in the treetops. Once we were underneath of them, we noticed we were being hit by stuff falling from the trees, hopefully not poop! It took a minute but finally it  was apparent that it was bits of nut shell.THen we found whole opened beechnut shells all around us.The grackles were not there to roost for the night but were stripping the new beech harvest. We left them to gorge in peace.

Sally Fellows
Williston