First of all, I will be happy to learn of anything I may be doing wrong in
using this search tool, I am all ears or in this case, all eyes.

I am working on content such as search results for the Federal Government
Agency section of my Statistics Research Guide

http://guides.temple.edu/statistics-sources

I went to this website to use the site search engine.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/main.htm

I entered this search

statistics OR data OR statistical OR demographics OR DEMOGRAPHIC OR
demography

I got the following single source as my total search result.

ARS : Home - USDA Agricultural Research Service
www.ars.usda.gov
Nutrient Data Tools; Plant Hardiness Zone Map; USDA National Nutrient
Database; ... ARS Publications; ARS Research Success Stories; ARS
Timeline; ...   [Powered by Bing]

I clicked on the Advanced Search link and found my terms listed as I had
entered in the "All of these words" search box.

I cleared that search bar and entered my search in the "any of these
words" search box.

I now have 278,000 search results.

But I also notice the Safe Search buttons default is set to moderate.

I change this to off and now have a result of 290,000 sources.

I go to each of these search result pages and discover this search that I
have supposedly entered in the search box above the found citations.

(statistics OR OR OR data OR OR OR statistical OR OR OR demographics OR OR
OR DEMOGRAPHIC OR OR OR demography)

So I think using OR in the "any of these words" search box may have been
redundant, so I just list the terms with no Boolean operator.

I run the search and have my one citation as the only result.

If I have done something drastically wrong, I certainly want to know about
it.  If that is not the case, some of you may want to let appropriate
government officials know about the not very cherry things Bing is doing
to their search results, you can even be firm rather than using micro soft
words in describing the significance of this problem to them.

The site search at USA.gov will run the search but will not let me enter
all of the words in one search statement, so apparently the Bing powered
site search engines are also using different breeds of cherries.

statistics OR statistical OR data OR demography

is all the USA.gov site search wants to investigatte.

I cannot blame Bing on this one, however, as it must get very tired
looking for all of those words at one time.

I am not having these problems on Federal Government websites that are not
using Bing as the site search engine powering the search.  I look forward
to any feedback.

Everyone have a great weekend.

.

.