Hi all,

On an otherwise quiet morning around Addison County, I was lucky enough to
spot one Ross's Goose amongst the large flock of Snow Geese visible several
hundred meters south of the Goose Viewing Area. When I arrived, most of the
geese were out of sight in the swale, but small parties were flying back
and forth. Since it's a lot easier to pick a ROGO out among a handful of
SNGO, as opposed to the entire flock on the ground or in flight, I decided
to spend an hour watching this promising action. About 20 minutes later, I
was delighted when a tiny white goose with short neck and very rapid
wingbeats picked up with 14 SNGO, circled a couple of times, and then
settled back down! 10 minutes later the entire flock took off in unison,
allowing a rough estimate of 2800, counted by 100s. Quite the sight!

Good birding,
Don Jones
Middlebury, VT / Laramie, WY