Hello Vermont Birders:

On Sunday morning, Ali Wagner and I bounced from patch to patch, primarily
scanning the lake, as far south as Fort Cassin Road and as far north as
Shelburne Bay.  In general, I would describe activity on the lake as pretty
quiet. It felt like an in between season. We encountered the most birdlife
on the lake from the end of Long Point.

Waterbird highlights:
- Great Blue Heron: one at the Charlotte Ferry terminal and one at
Shelburne Bay
- Belted Kingfisher: one at Long Point
- Bonaparte's Gull: approximately 100 off Long Point and smaller numbers in
other spots
- Long-tailed Duck: one flock of 8 birds flying south off the Charlotte
Ferry terminal and a distant flock                                  of
25-30 birds off of Long Point that kept getting up and moving around
- Black Scoter: four off Long Point and a flock of 16 female/immature way
out at Shelburne Bay
- White-winged Scoter: one at Shelburne Bay, two at Charlotte Ferry Terminal

We seemed to find a Red-bellied Woodpecker in every forested area we
visited, tallying perhaps five for the morning. Small Flocks of Purple
Finches we noted in a bunch of locations as well. We heard and/or saw
American Pipits and Snow Buntings in small numbers throughout. Our best
sighting was five very cooperative Snow Buntings on the rocks at Shelburne
Bay. Here is a photo one of the indifferent beauties:
https://flic.kr/p/AzSTwY

Good birding,
Eric
Eric Hynes