This afternoon I saw an estimated 2000-3000 scaup at the Colchester Causeway. I had seen this flock of ducks drop in on Sunday when I stopped briefly at Allen Point in South Hero, but they landed closer to the Colchester end of the Causeway and I was not able to identify them from  distance. Today I got a good look at the group. Based on counts of the birds that were closest to shore the majority of these ducks were Greater Scaup. There were at least 2 male Redheads in the group and a half dozen Ring-necked Ducks. I had to walk about 1.5 miles from the beginning of the Causeway to see these birds well. Along the way I counted 18 Horned Grebes, 6 Common Loons, and one Red-throated Loon in addition to the usual gulls.

Bruce MacPherson
South Burlington