Yesterday two of us checked out a great many places along the lake and found an astonishing dearth of ducks. We saw a few Common Goldeneye and a few Buffleheads, some Mallards and Black Ducks, and a handful of Green-winged Teal  – after visits to Shelburne Bay, Shelburne Town Beach, Charlotte Town Beach, Whiskey Bay (Thompson’s Point), the confluence of Otter and Dead Creeks, Arnold Bay, Potash Bay, under the Champlain Bridge, McCuen Slang, Champlain Side Drive, Whitney Creek, DAR, Dead Creek’s Brilyea Access, and Gage Road. It was fiercely windy, with high white caps in several locations. We thought ducks might shelter in more protected areas, such as the little cove at DAR, but no. Do they all cluster in the narrower southern part of the lake in those kind of conditions? Or were they way out in the middle and obscured by waves?

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center