I watched a group of 5 Horned Grebes playing around and on a large mostly submerged rock.  The rock looked like the back of a dolphin just breaking the surface.  The grebes would hop up on it, and then while still standing, slide/ski back into the water.  A first for me - seeing a horned grebe entirely out of the water, standing up.  Got a good look at their feet as they slid down the rock.  Needless to say they stood for a very short time before skiing back into the water.  Not quite comfortable in this position with legs so far back on the body me thinks.

Counted a total of 32 Horned Grebes on the calm surface of the lake from this site.  A good mix of other waterfowl as well.

Liz Lackey