Here's my report/excuse:

I drove over the App Gap and back yesterday morning, where I found a surface of asphalt with patches of snow down low, and a solid cover of 1" of freshies on top. I didn't even get out to ski. I did stop to help out the occupants of a Subaru that was nose-down in the ditch, but they informed me that were fine and just waiting to get towed out.

My destination was the Waitsfield ski swap, my favorite of the season since I can rarely make it to the Cochran's swap. My mission was to drop $50 or less on a pair of skis for skiing icy groomers for those days when that's all there is. Let's face it, there are days like that, and none of the skis I've got in the current rotation are especially fun on those days. Mission accomplished. I was happy to luck into a pair of Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous XBS (who comes up with these names??), several years old but in fine shape, with bindings, for $50. Here's hoping I never have to use them. And if I couldn't ski, it was at least fun to hang out in the line with a bunch of people all equally excited for the snow.

Today I'm looking at Bread Loaf Mountain, draped in white, but I'm still on Day 0.

Dave G., waiting