Dear All

As the year comes to a close, I would like to pick up on Robert's comment and ask people to chime in on the difference between speed (latency) and bandwidth (capacity).

We all of course need speed with capacity.

There is such a thing as too much capacity (you can pay for more than what you need) but is there such thing as too much speed?

John from NCSU has a device that measures bandwidth, wishing he would comment here on what it is again and how he uses it to plan capacity.

Each of these things (among others) represent choke points in the user experience
bandwidth
firewall
filtering
switching
cabling
wifi
client machine cpu/gpu

Some of these are long lived assets without much in the way of innovation, others are renewed each year at CES and the rest fall somewhere in between.

I appreciate Keith talking about future wireless improvements (MU-MIMO) he is looking at and Larry's willingness to share what he is using and the improvements (and decisions behind) he is looking at.

Craig L. how do you KNOW you need a new Core Switch? I am not asking, in any attempt to question your need, but to be instructive to myself and others on the list about how to prioritize budget funds to address choke points.

Side note, just wanted to point out that while Craig Lyndes has eliminated servers from his network, clearly he is not falling asleep at the switch ( hahahlol   <groan> ).

I will invoke Melissa Hayden-Raley's incentive system and offer free high-fives to anyone who posts in this thread this week.

And for my parting shot thanks to Craig Donnan for helping me out with some Erate advice.

Thanks to all and here is hoping for more posters and fewer lurkers in 2016!!

I don't really see how each of your APs could be dumping a gig a second into the network if you only have 1 gig going out to the internet, there can't be THAT much local traffic, and the gig connection to the internet would limit all the APs to a gig in the aggregate.  I've personally never seen a wireless access point that could go that fast in real life, anyhow, the most I've seen is probably 150 mb/sec, and that was under ideal test conditions, not real world traffic.