HI Paul--

They have the safety switch on the door that gives you access to the
source since opening that gives you access to exposed high voltage
lines.  It's fine to open that up with power off to check for shorts
across the different plates as well to box/trap/ground.  But if you were
to defeat the safety switch and check the voltages on the board attached
to the source, that would be dangerous.  Even if you dropped voltage to
1000 V.  Not recommending this.  You don't want to accidentally short
things to each other or to ground.

take care,

gerry

p.s. good luck and be very very careful...
p.p.s. Those resistors are set up to minimize damage if there's a bad
short, pg 7.4 of catalog--maybe check them to see if they're ok with
power down and disconnected before testing anything live.