Hi Todd,

In our lab we use both a COSTECH 4010 and a Isotope CUBE for wt% and
isotopes of CN.   The manufacturers recommended oxidation catalysts are:
chromium oxide and copper oxide in the COSTECH and CUBE respectively.  I
run the COSTECH combustion at 1000oC and the CUBE at 950oC.  I see no
difference in the quality of the data, and assume there is little
difference between the efficacy of these oxidation catalysts ...

FWIW: I have tried measuring 15N of sediment (ground whole rock)
containing <0.05 wt%N using a single reactor on the COSTECH 4010 (also
chromium oxide + reduced copper + silvered cobaltous/ic oxide as
described in the Costech manual), but the 15N data was
inconsistent/poor.  My suspicion/assumption(?) is that there isn't
enough copper at the correct temp (600 to 650oC) in the single reactor
configuration, but it could also have just been the samples (!?!).  FYI:
I was only interested in 15N and have no data on the quality of the 13C
using a single reactor.

Any particular reason you're attempting CN of plant material on a single
reactor?

Cheers,
Steve

--