HI Andy--

1.  The heating current is 5mA, the emission sits on top of that. It is
current limited--so the bad batch of filaments that went out a while ago
looked like they might have been too thick and carried too much
current--so the over all current limit was hit before you got good
emission. If the leads are (close to) touching in the source, then the
current bleeds thru that way.  Probably not a problem for you  Also I
remember hearing about a bad batch of source heaters--they would leave a
deposit on the insulators--so a small leak to ground at voltage.

2.  Our set up has the HV showing in Volts--and it goes from 0 to 3000
mV.  So it should go all the way to 0 mV.  You can even check for
problem with voltages at say 1000 mV?  Everything should float on the
hV, which, at least according to the readbacks, bounces around a
little.  It may also float a little away from your ground--depending on
what you're using for ground--but that shouldn't be much.

good luck

gerry