From: Bob Cokayne <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 16:54:56 -0000
Subject: Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] Use LECO FP528 as an EA with Thermo IRMS?

Hi Mathew,
Don't know if this will help but a few years ago I interfaced a LECO to a VG
mass spec at the EMBRAPA Agrobiology facility at Seropedica just outside Rio
in Brazil.
The main problem that I faced was that unlike the usual nitrogen analysers
which vent all of the sample to waste the LECO takes a very small aliquot of
the sample which poses a problem on interfacing into the mass spec source
and on sensitivity.
Normally all of the waste is interfaced through a "splitter" unit which
allows the correct gas flow into the source but on the LECO the aliquot has
to reach the mass spec source to give ion beams of sufficient intensity to
make reproducible and accurate results.
Current mass specs claim to be much more sensitive than those of the 1990's
but the problem of interfacing and sensitivity will still present an
interesting challenge for you and your colleagues but take heart from the
fact that it has been done.
Good luck.
Bob Cokayne.
Stable Isotope Mass Spectrometer Consultant (retired)