Hi Andy,

We simply tap the tube with a wood dowel a few times while filling to get the copper to settle.  We use a piece of straight 1/4" stainless tubing with one end smashed flat, like a straight blade screwdriver.  We use the SS tube to chip it out in a drilling motion in combination with the wooden dowel tapping on the outside.  Our student workers usually do it and then the tubes go through our regular wash and are reused.

Cheers, Ben

From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hill, Brett
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2016 8:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] Removing reduced copper

Andrew,

We tap the outside of the reduction tube lightly 15-20 times to get the Cu to settle a bit before topping it up.  The more it is packed in the more difficult to remove.  We remove the spent Cu with a length of 3/8” (9mm) OD SS tubing that has had 4 teeth filed into the end and that have been set a bit by prying them out with pliers.  After loosening and dumping the plug a bit from both ends it can usually be pushed out with the SS tubing.  The reduction tube does sometimes get scratched up a bit, but it doesn’t seem to matter.  Quick rinse with DI water, dry with compressed air, repack and re-install.

Regards

Brett

Brett Hill

Stable Isotope Lab