Dear all,
We invite you to contribute abstracts for our session “New developments in isotope and trace element analyses”. The session will be held during the 22nd annual meeting of the European Association of Archeologists from the 31th August to the 4th January 2016 in Vilnius (Lithuania).

Submission deadline: 15th of February 2015

Session description:

Trace element and isotope analyses are powerful tools for reconstructing past human diets, mobility and environments as well as establishing chronologies and provenancing materials and artifacts. With the recent developments in measurement methodologies for mass spectrometry during the 90’s, it is now possible to precisely and accurately measure stable isotope compositions of new elements (e.g. B, Ca, Cu, Fe, Hg, Mg, Nd, Pb, Sb, Sr, Zn) in all kind of materials, opening up new perspectives for archaeological sciences.
This session aims to bring together researchers that are working on new techniques as well as scholars that employ traditional techniques using novel approaches to interpret their data (for example the interpretation of multiple isotope/trace element analyses of the same sample). We invite contributions that focus on a variety of materials, such as human or animal tissues (e.g., bone, tooth, blood, shells), archaeological materials (e.g. raw materials, ceramics, glass artifacts, metals, building stones) or environmental samples from archaeological sites (e.g. speleothems, soils). These contributions should show the potential of heavy stable and radiogenic isotopes (Nd, Pb) for archaeological sciences or present new developments in light stable isotope analyses (C,H,O,N,S). Studies that integrate isotopic/trace element and archaeological data in an innovative way are particularly welcomed, as well as discussions on the potential and limitations of these analyses.
We hope that this session will demonstrate that these new techniques hold great potential for a more integrated interpretation of the archaeological record and that it is possible to get relevant archaeological information employing these techniques which is currently beyond reach using a more traditional approach.

Conveners: Esther Plomp (Vrij Universiteit Amsterdam), Dieter Broms (KU Leuven), Klervia Jaouen (EVA-MPG, Leipzig)

Further information, including submission details, can be found on the conference’s website: http://eaavilnius2016.lt/

We are looking forward to receiving your submissions, and hope to see many of you in Vilnius.

Best wishes
Klervia Jaouen ([log in to unmask]), Esther Plomp and Dieter Broms

--
Dr Klervia Jaouen
Dpt of Human Evolution

phone:0049 (0) 341 3550 375