photographing records

Thank you very much Megan! Exactly what I needed. As to copiers needing to meet certain State standards…I may be showing my age there!

Cassandra

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Wheaton-Book, Megan
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 9:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: photographing records

Dear Cassandra,

Thank you for clarifying. It might be helpful to you to review the State Archives’ Reference Room Guidelines. In the section on copies, the State Archives states that, “Researchers may photograph original records with the permission of the Reference staff. Please notify staff if you intend to photograph records.

         Flash photography and additional lighting or equipment may not be used unless special

permission to do so has been granted by the Reference staff.

         Researchers may not take photographs of other researchers.”

For the State Archives, photography is determined on a case by case basis depending on the fragility of the record in question. We do not allow flash to be used in making any photographic copies. As for “copiers that are even supposed to meet certain standards so the original records aren’t harmed by light”, if the record is too fragile for a copier we do not recommend using any copier, this is again determined on a case by case basis. As far as I am aware, there are no special copiers that can ensure that records aren’t harmed by light.

Additionally 1 V.S.A. 316 (g) leaves it to the discretion of the clerk to determine if special outside equipment can be used to produce copies (in whatever format) if the clerk’s office doesn’t have such equipment:

“A public agency having the equipment necessary to copy its public records shall utilize its equipment to produce copies. If the public agency does not have such equipment, nothing in this section shall be construed to require the public agency to provide or arrange for copying service, to use or permit the use of copying equipment other than its own, to permit operation of its copying equipment by other than its own personnel, to permit removal of the public record by the requesting person for purposes of copying, or to make its own personnel available for making handwritten or typed copies of the public record or document requested.”

It is best practice to have this type of procedure posted and consistently applied, which it sounds like you have done.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Megan

Megan Wheaton-Book

Records Analyst II

Vermont State Archives & Records Administration

1078 U.S. Route 2, Middlesex

Montpelier, VT 05633-7701

802-828-3897

I believe in the past it has been the opinion of the State that we should not allow people to take pics of land records because it was not known what it would do over the long term to the original record.  As far as I know, we have certain copiers that are even supposed to meet certain standards so the original records aren’t harmed by light, etc.  I have someone who is being persistent in wanting to photograph records and I want something to back me up.  I already have told her and have a sign that it is not allowed.  I think she may be sneaking them anyway.

Cassandra Barbeau
Town Clerk
Bennington, VT
mailto:[log in to unmask]

find us on the web at http://www.townofbennington.org/TOB/departments/town-clerk/

Please note that this email message, along with any response or reply, is considered public record, and thus, subject to disclosure under the Vermont Public Records Law (1 V.S.A. 315-320). Thank You.