If you received your Weekly Legislative Update in your emails today, you
will note H. 629.  This is a vital records bill that will potentially make
sweeping changes to the way we record vital records, or even our ability to
have access to these records.  It is early still and I suspect if this bill
has legs, there will be several changes as the bill progresses but this
could be a huge blow to the general public and the ease of getting their
records, and a financial blow to Hospital Towns.  Please take a look.  After
reading the bill, I find it interesting the Department of Health feels birth
and death records need to be further secured from the possibility of
fraudulent use, but marriages are not included.  Everything that is on my
birth certificate is also on my marriage license.  I am not afraid of either
of those records being public.

Cassandra Barbeau
Town Clerk
Bennington, VT
mailto:[log in to unmask]
find us on the web at
http://www.townofbennington.org/TOB/departments/town-clerk/
Please note that this email message, along with any response or reply, is
considered public record, and thus, subject to disclosure under the Vermont
Public Records Law (1 V.S.A.  315-320). Thank You.