If you received your Weekly Legislative Update in your emails today, you will note H. 629.  This is a vital records bill that will potentially make sweeping changes to the way we record vital records, or even our ability to have access to these records.  It is early still and I suspect if this bill has legs, there will be several changes as the bill progresses but this could be a huge blow to the general public and the ease of getting their records, and a financial blow to Hospital Towns.  Please take a look.  After reading the bill, I find it interesting the Department of Health feels birth and death records need to be further secured from the possibility of fraudulent use, but marriages are not included.  Everything that is on my birth certificate is also on my marriage license.  I am not afraid of either of those records being public.

Cassandra Barbeau
Town Clerk
Bennington, VT
mailto:[log in to unmask]

find us on the web at http://www.townofbennington.org/TOB/departments/town-clerk/

Please note that this email message, along with any response or reply, is considered public record, and thus, subject to disclosure under the Vermont Public Records Law (1 V.S.A. 315-320). Thank You.