As the tech coordinator for the district, I report to the principal of the
high school, which is by far the biggest of the schools in the district, so
this makes sense to me.  My one frustration with the job is I wish I got to
sign off on all technology purchases.  I have a budget, but each of the
departments has a tech budget, too, that they use to buy tech that's
specific to their programs.  I'm convinced a lot of that money is spent
frivolously, especially at year end, when department heads come to me and
say things that start with "I have this money I have to use or lose..."
 Yesterday I was in a classroom where the teacher bought wireless mice for
each of the PCs in her lab.  That offends me both as a taxpayer and from an
environmental standpoint, the wired mice she had were perfectly fine, and
contributed no batteries to our waste stream.   Sigh...