Aubrey,

Some of the tasks that take up time are not directly Google tasks.  We have certain families that give their children names that create identical login names.  Preventing these duplicate names and keeping the new student from hijacking the GAFE account of the existing student is one of the things that extends the time necessary for these tasks.

We have 10% of our students leave a year and 10% join us.  With our enrollment of 700 K-8 that means about 140 add/drops a year.  With technology becoming so much a part of our learning experience our commitment to make these add/drops within 24 hours of being notified by the registrar is not really within most teachers comfort zone.  In an ideal world all accounts and the student's devices would be waiting for them when they enter the classroom the first time.

We use Haiku, so I do not know how much is involved in maintaining Google Class.  Because we use Haiku for assessment for all classes and all students keeping an up to date roster for every class for every teacher is quite an undertaking.  Even in our K-8 there are 4 or 5 Unified Arts classes for every student in addition to up to three core courses.

Craig Lyndes
St Albans City School