From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Drescher, Peter
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2016 4:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: FW: SPECIAL EDITION - Common EPC Questions

Hi Bob:

Ah.. the SU/District question..

I have been around the block myself with USAC over the past couple of years on this very issue.  They still don’t really understand it, they want to treat the SU as the District because that is the model in so many other states.   I have no answer that is a good one.  You can continue to go the direction of each individual district (or school in our case) and have those conversations with USAC that end up being a bit frustrating.  It does and continues to work for some over the years, but the way things are going with E-rate in general, it may be helpful for you to try to develop that “district” structure around what we all know as the SU simply for E-rate purposes.   I know that Jeff Everett, who does a number of different SU’s, schools etc. has made it work in many cases.  He might chime in, or I can put you directly in touch with him.

I noted Craig’s response to your inquiry too and that is a certainly viable solution.. especially in that .. as he says.. USAC doesn’t seem to beef about it.

A you noted in parenthesis there.. with consolidation/merger nipping at everyone’s heels the issue may resolve over a shorter period of time for all of us, but I know that may be analogous to herding cats right now.

I’d advocate that to get ahead of that merger curve so to speak, you might bring it up as a possible way to start thinking along a unified structure. .. I’ll stop there as everyone will have their own pace at that one.

Peter

Peter Drescher

Education Technology Coordinator

Vermont Agency of Education

Transformation and Innovation Division

219 N. Main St. Suite 402,

Barre VT 05641

Ph.: 802.479.1169

My EMAIL ADDRESS HAS CHANGED—The NEW ADDRESS IS: [log in to unmask]

Twitter: VTED_Technology