Good afternoon everyone,

Attached and below are the official invitation to the 5th annual Empire
Debates at the King's College.  We look forward to seeing you March 5-6 for
the only tournament hosted on Broadway.

We attempted to secure a block of rooms for a "tournament hotel" but no
single hotels had enough rooms to make it worth it.  As such we've
recommended several hotels in our invitation, but you'll want to jump on
them quickly to ensure they still have space.

All the best,

Jonah Ortiz
The King's Debate Society - President

Josiah Peterson
The King's Debate Society - Coach

  2016 Empire Debates

The King’s Debate Society is pleased to invite you to return to the Big
Apple for the 5th annual Empire Debates, a WUDC format tournament, hosted
in the heart of New York City’s financial district, March 5-6, 2016.  In
the city of the UN, Wall Street, and Broadway, we look forward to showing
you some intellectual hospitality, through a smoothly executed, competitive
tournament with quality judges and motions.

*REGISTRATION:*

*Team: $90*

*Judges: $25 per judge, n-1 requirement, $50 missing judge fee*

E-mail entries, including any dietary constraints, to Josiah Peterson,
Tournament Director, at [log in to unmask] Please make checks payable to The
King’s College with “The King’s Debate Society” in the memo line.  We will
also be accepting cash or credit card payments at registration on the first
day.  If you are a new program, or coming a long distance, please contact
us; we will do our best to work with each school's limitations.

*Registration Deadline: February 26, 2015*

(early estimates appreciated)

*HOUSING:*

Finding hotels in New York City can be difficult, as there is often a
trade-off between proximity and cost.  We have recommended three cheaper
hotels in New Jersey and Brooklyn that are connected to the City’s mass
transit systems and two hotels within walking distance in Manhattan that
aren’t too expensive by NYC standards.  The latter will fill up quickly so
you want to reserve your rooms asap.

*Within Walking Distance*

*Holiday Inn
<http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/reservation/searchresult?qAdlt=1&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv.ul.vn&qChld=0&qDest=NEW+YORK+CITY%2CNY%2CUnited+States&qFRA=1&qGRM=0&qIta=99504425&qPSt=0&qRRSrt=rt&qRef=df&qRms=1&qRpn=1&qRpp=12&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qSrt=sBR&qWch=0&srb_u=1&icdv=99504425&siclientid=9947&sitrackingid=688164195&dp=true&glat=SEAR>*

51 Nassau Street

New York, NY 10036

646-844-2987

*Hampton Inn
<http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-york/hampton-inn-manhattan-seaport-financial-district-NYCSPHX/index.html>*

320 Pearl Street

New York, NY 10038

212-571-4400

*Further Afield*

*Best Western Prospect Park <http://www.bwplusprospectpark.com/>*

764 4th Avenue

Brooklyn, NY 11232

718-768-3100 ext. 7126

*Ramada Jersey City
<http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46531-d247805-Reviews-Ramada_Jersey_City-Jersey_City_New_Jersey.html>*

65 Tonnelle Avenue

Jersey City, NJ 07306

(800) 946-5338

*Super 8 North Bergen
<http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46679-d123789-Reviews-Super_8_North_Bergen-North_Bergen_New_Jersey.html>*

2800 Columbia Avenue

North Bergen, NJ 07047

(201) 864-4500

*MEALS: *

The Empire Debates will provide breakfast and lunch Saturday and
Sunday.  *E-mail
any particular dietary constraints to Josiah Peterson ([log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]>) by February 26, or we may not be able to accommodate your
needs. *We encourage you to explore the city’s many options for dinner both
days!

*PROPOSED SCHEDULE:*

We will have six preliminary rounds with open semis and finals with the
possibility of a novice final depending on the number of entries. Novices
shall be considered those participating in their first year of
intercollegiate debate or competing in one of their first three
intercollegiate tournaments.  In our past tournaments we have always run on
or ahead of schedule and are committed to doing so again this year. Towards
that end are asking that you e-mail or call *Friday, March 4th* by 10PM to
confirm your registrants so we can run the draw right after roll call.  We
currently have it set up for a long day Saturday so that we can get out
early on Sunday and explore the city.

*Friday, March 4th, 2015*

Call or e-mail to confirm teams by 10PM.

*Saturday, March 5th, 2015*

7:00AM                       Registration & Breakfast

7:45AM                       DQ for all absent teams

8:00AM                       Pairings

8:15AM-10:20AM       Round 1

10:45AM-12:45PM      Round 2

12:45PM-1:45PM        Lunch

2:00PM-4:15PM          Round 3

4:30PM-6:30PM          Round 4

6:30PM                        Snacks

7:00PM-9:00PM          Round 5

*Sunday, March 6th, 2015*

8:00AM-9:00AM         Breakfast/Pairings

9:00AM-11:30AM       Round 6

12:00PM-2:00PM        Semifinals/Novice Finals*

2:00PM-3:30PM          Lunch/Awards

3:30PM                        Finals

*DIRECTIONS & BUILDING REGULATIONS:*

   - The King’s College is located on the 1st, 5th-6th floors of 52
   Broadway, New York, NY 10004. We lease space from the United Federation of
   Teachers. *As such, it is imperative that these few rules be followed:*
      - Please use only space leased by The King’s College—the 5th and 6th
      floors and the ground-floor lobby.
      - Enter and exit the building *only *through The King’s College
      entrance.
   - You can easily reach our new campus from the A, C, E, R, 1, 2, 3, 4,
   5, J, and Z Subway lines. If you are coming in from New Jersey you can take
   the PATH train to the World Trade Center stop, a 10 minute walk from
   campus.
   - We highly recommend *Embark NYC’s free smartphone App* for navigating
   the NYC transport system. You can download it here:
   https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/embark-nyc-subway-new-york/id450991137?mt=8

*CONTACT INFO:*

Josiah Peterson – King’s Debate Society, Coach

Jonah Ortiz – King’s Debate Society, President

[log in to unmask], 347-861-2521

*HOST INFO:*

NELSON KEZOH – Chief Adjudicator

St. John’s University, class of 2015

Winner of Empire Debates 2015

MICHAEL BARTON – Deputy Chief Adjudicator

Yale University, class of 2014

Finalist in Empire Debates 2015

LUCY LEFEVER – Deputy Chief Adjudicator

The King’s College, class of 2015

Winner of Brown and Gold Debates 2014

JOSIAH PETERSON – Tournament Director

The King's Debate Society – Coach

Instructor in Speech and Debate and Persuasive Writing

JONAH ORTIZ – Tournament Host

King’s Debate Society – President, 2015-present

The King’s College, class of 2017

*SUGGESTED DINING:*

*Harry’s Cafe and Steak*

1 Hanover Square